[arin-ppml] debunking the myth that Moore's law helps

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Fri Dec 18 14:43:08 EST 2009

Dave Feuer wrote:
> From: "Michel Py" <michel at arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us>
> Date:  Thu, 17 Dec 2009 19:45:34 -0800
>
>> Joel, the WRT610n does NAT at 300Mb/s? I mean measured in the
>> real
>> world, not only manufacturer's marketing?
>>

> In "real word" tests it does about 50% to 60% of that. The older
> 600 was a bit faster. But still not bad for something you can
> pick up for $179 or less at WalMart.

Most of the Linksys routers have a button in the firmware
you can select NAT or Gateway mode - in gateway mode, the
device is indeed a real router, not a NAT

Also, the WRT610N version 1 and 2 both run dd-wrt firmware,
and there's a build of that firmware that supports IPv6,
both as a tunnel endpoint, and a native IPv6 router.

I'd be very happy to accept a donated WRT610N in exchange for
running it through a testbed and publishing the results. ;-)  ;-)

Ted