[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2009-8: Equitable IPv4 Run-Out - Last Call

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Sat Dec 5 18:32:38 EST 2009

James Hess wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 7:09 AM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
>> In general I see removing the second sentence as a no-op.  I don't think it
>> adds nor do I think it removes clarity in either case.
>> Having said that, unnecessary text is just that, and, if removing it is a
>> no-op, it  is unnecessary text.
>
> However, that doesn't mean it's unnecessary.  Also:  I wonder what
> should happen  if an organization should receive some resources  via
> section 8.3  transfer and  then later that year request some resources
> not by transfer?
>
> "An organization receiving a transfer under section 8.3 may continue
> to request up to a 12 month supply of IP addresses."
>
> Taken on its own, someone could interpret this to mean  their receipt
> of addresses in the past now entitles them to request a 12 month
> supply of addresses to be allocated by ARIN,  instead of the reduced
> 3 month amount.
>

> Also, if  8.3  were later revised,  so it became more complicated, or
> a later revision to 8.3 says  "18 month supply"  instead of   "12
> month supply" for transfers.
> Now a change to this policy would be required as well
>
> So   I do see a case  for revising the exact language for 4.2.4.4.
> Such as:
>
> "This reduction applies only to resources received directly from ARIN.
> The size of a transfer that an organization  may justify and receive
> receive under section 8.3 is not  restricted by this section."

I like the first part of your suggestion.  However, I believe the second
part completely removes the current limit of a 12 month supply for
transfers, which I can't support and I know a number of other people
would oppose as well.

I'm going to think about changes to the text, but I would like some more
opinions on this issue.  A number of people have said they support the
text as written.  So, I would like to see more feedback before making
any changes the text.

> --
> -J

Thanks

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE	    Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952