[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2008-3: Community Networks IPv6 Assignment – Last Call

Martin Hannigan martin.hannigan at batelnet.bs
Sun Aug 30 12:46:20 EDT 2009

On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 9:48 AM, David Farmer<farmer at umn.edu> wrote:
> On 28 Aug 2009 Martin Hannigan wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 2:08 PM, Member Services<info at arin.net> wrote:
>>
>> [ clip ]
>
> [clipped more]
>
>> > 2.8 Community Network
>> > A community network is any network organized and operated by a volunteer
>> > group operating as or under the fiscal support of a non-profit organization or university
>> > for the purpose of providing free or low-cost connectivity to the residents of their local service
>> > area.
>>

>> The problematic language for me is "as or under". How do you operate
>> "under" the fiscal support of a non profit organization? Aren't
>> Universities non-profits? Diving clubs? Cub Scouts? What constitutes
>> operating "under" the fiscal support of a non-profit or university? It
>> looks like this proposal simply grabbed on to hot-button issues to
>> justify it's creation along with a few loopholes. I'm fairly certain
>> that while the abuse of this one may be limited, it will be abused.
>
> Using one of the examples you provided;

[ snip ]

> Substitute "Community Network" for "Diving Club" and you have the intent of
> the phrase "as or under the fiscal support of a non-profit organization or
> university".  Would "as or under the fiscal management and support of a
> non-profit organization or university" be better?  Do you have a better
> suggestion on how to phrase this?

One way that this proposal could have been improved would have been to
specify that accredited educational institutions and UN recognized
NGO's may allocate v6 address space to groups that they deem deserving
as defined by their internal processes after they themselves qualify
under the existing criteria. That may have addressed the staff
discretion comment, it certainly addresses the weak use cases and it
eliminates the [possibly hundreds of] thousands of others who this
proposal was not intended to benefit.

I will leave this in your capable and adventurous hands.

Best,

-M<