[arin-ppml] Update on 2009-3: Global Policy for the Allocationof IPv4 Blocks to RIRs

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Mon Aug 17 17:01:14 EDT 2009

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 4:45 PM, Kevin Kargel<kkargel at polartel.com> wrote:
> [...]

Kevin,

I think you and Scott had basically said the same thing here, which
I'm going to echo: there is no "maybe" in policy. Policy either does
or it does not.

Which means our choices here boil down to:

1. Set the terms under which we will return addresses to IANA.

2. Explain how we will set the terms under which we will return
addresses to IANA. (By enacting or failing to enact ARIN-region policy
that specifies which addresses are to be returned. Default: none.)

3. Abandon this global policy proposal and be the only region who
wouldn't let it move forward.

Unless someone wants to reopen that particular wound, we've already
determined that we're not ready to do #1 just yet. And #3 would make
us look bad.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004