[arin-ppml] Summary: lowering the ARIN minimum allocation

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Mon Aug 3 14:40:33 EDT 2009

In a message written on Mon, Aug 03, 2009 at 02:28:54PM -0400, William Herrin wrote:
> A hundred messages later, here's a summary of the discussion on
> lowering the ARIN minimum allocation for Multihomed organizations:

I notice something missing.  IPv6.

I say this because it would appear we have ~2 years of IPv4 left.
Given a policy cycle to get something implemented, it would appear
we might be talking about policy changes that matter for ~18 months.
That's not to say we shouldn't do it, but that we may need to direct
some focus elsewhere.

I would prefer a new policy look directly at multi-homing end-users
in IPv6, and if there are smart things we can be doing there.  Since
the space is larger, we have many more opportunities to do things
like right-sizing the first allocation, and doing spare allocation
in ways that allocations can grow without turning into multiple
route announcements.  Work in this area is likely to pay dividends
for 10's of years, not a year and a half.