[arin-ppml] Revised -- Policy Proposal 2009-4: IPv4 Recovery Fund

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Sun Apr 12 09:25:38 EDT 2009

In a message written on Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 08:00:00PM -0700, Leo Vegoda wrote:
> >     ARIN would never pay to get 10/8 back.  How many folks for which
> >     addressing is not their day to day job will fall for the sales
> >     pitch that since IP addresses are short 10/8 is now in use, and
> >     they can buy a chunk of it?
>
> While there are doubtless a few people in the world that believe they don't
> need to go in to work on Monday because they have probably won a competition
> they never entered, they are few and far between. That's why the scammers
> need to send so many e-mails.
>
> I think very few people will be spending the kind of money you have
> mentioned without doing some cursory due diligence work. And that will show
> them them whether there has been an industry-wide agreed change in the
> status of the RFC 1918 space.

I probably picked a too-obvious example with 10/8.  What about the
guy who worked for a small company, put in the ARIN request for his
company and was the contact, but was then fired.  He then puts the
companies block up on e-bay and represents that it is his, since
he is the contact.  He may even have an old bage to show someone
who asks.  I bet there's a good chance he can fool someone into
buying the block.

ARIN deals with these situations already.  I'm sure more than once
someone has tried to update a block with stale contact information
and it has looked suspicious to ARIN.  As such they have done
additional checks to figure out who the legitimate holder is and
verify the update.

I'll also note you've made an assumption with 'spending the kind
of money you have mentioned'.  You'll note in the examples I use I
always use values like $5, or $10.  Other folks, like the poster I
was replying to use $250,000 per /16.

I don't know where prices will end up, and more importantly they
/will/ change over time.  I don't think it is any more of a wacky
prediction to think some /22's will go for $5000 than it is to think
a /16 will go for $250,000.  There are plenty of companies where
if the $5000 purchase was holding up the roll out of the new product
expected to generate $500 million in reveneue would that would make
the purchase with a very small amount of due dilligence.