[arin-ppml] Revised -- Policy Proposal 2009-4: IPv4 Recovery Fund

Leo Vegoda leo.vegoda at icann.org
Sat Apr 11 23:00:00 EDT 2009

On 11/04/2009 11:53, "Leo Bicknell" <bicknell at ufp.org> wrote:

[...]

> From that perspective there is no advantage, prompting some folks
> to ask "why put a monkey in the middle".  There are several advantages
> to having ARIN in the middle:

[...]

>     ARIN would never pay to get 10/8 back.  How many folks for which
>     addressing is not their day to day job will fall for the sales
>     pitch that since IP addresses are short 10/8 is now in use, and
>     they can buy a chunk of it?

While there are doubtless a few people in the world that believe they don't
need to go in to work on Monday because they have probably won a competition
they never entered, they are few and far between. That's why the scammers
need to send so many e-mails.

I think very few people will be spending the kind of money you have
mentioned without doing some cursory due diligence work. And that will show
them them whether there has been an industry-wide agreed change in the
status of the RFC 1918 space.

>     These folks are going to show up at an ISP's door and demand their
>     space be routed, after all they just paid 10's of thousands of
>     dollars for it.  They will demand ARIN recognize the transfer.
>     We'll all have to deal with the mess that's made.

The 10/8 space they bought? I don't think so. I think they'll need to
explain to someone why they didn't do their due diligence work. That is all.

Regards,

Leo