[arin-ppml] IPv6 Backbone Anecdotes

Kevin Loch kloch at kl.net
Thu Apr 9 00:49:39 EDT 2009

Paul Vixie wrote:
> ISC's IPv6 transit comes from Hurricane Electric and Tata (Teleglobe).  Both
> appear to be native (no tunnels, no MTU problems.)  IPv6 looks ok to me.

Highwinds and Tiscali were eager to turn up native IPv6 when asked.  The
existence of a non-US based engineer at ${provider} seems to be a good
indicator of success.  For non-US based networks we peer with turning
up IPv6 sessions at the same time as IPv4 has never been a problem.
It's as normal as breathing for them.  Sometimes I wonder how surprised
they are that a US based company provided an IPv6 address for peering.

As mentioned Hurricane Electric provides excellent native service and
there are many other "non tier1" US based ISP's and hosting providers
that can provide native service.

I haven't asked our US-based "tier 1" transit providers yet because from
what I had heard many of them are using tunnels at least partially.
I have no need for that (or any mtu issues).

- Kevin