[arin-ppml] IPv6 Backbone Anecdotes

rob servis rob at raser.com
Wed Apr 8 18:53:16 EDT 2009

> We have two backbone providers, Cogent and Level3.  In response to our
> recent inquiries, Cogent indicated they planned to begin routing IPv6
> "later this year" and Level3 indicated they were able to route it now.
>
> What I found more interesting was Level3's reaction to our inquiry.
> Level3 has one of the largest IP networks on our continent and across
> the pond.  They were modestly surprised to get an inquiry of this type.
>   Specifically, the engineer assigned to our account said he hasn't
> deployed a single IPv6 connection in 5 years of being with the company.
>   He personally knew of no one other than a few government entities even
> doing any testing.
>
> Anecdotally, it sounds like the IPv6 transition is moving right along.

When I asked AT&T -- I got two 3-page PDF's dated 2005, revised November
2007 that seemed, well, more marketing focused.  Bottom line they aren't
doing anything and haven't done anything except what has been 'mandated' by
the government.  This was one of the really precious lines:

"AT&T's global network architecture is based on MPLS and thus is IP-version
independent This core architecture has been designed to support IPv6 from
its early design phases."

It'll be fun to watch the millions of IPV4 users on SBC Yahoo DSL magically
transition to IPV6 with no serious work needed by ATT.

Rob Servis
RASER, Inc.