[arin-ppml] IPv6 Backbone Anecdotes

Ron Cleven rlc at usfamily.net
Wed Apr 8 18:35:58 EDT 2009

We have two backbone providers, Cogent and Level3.  In response to our
recent inquiries, Cogent indicated they planned to begin routing IPv6
"later this year" and Level3 indicated they were able to route it now.

What I found more interesting was Level3's reaction to our inquiry.
Level3 has one of the largest IP networks on our continent and across
the pond.  They were modestly surprised to get an inquiry of this type.
  Specifically, the engineer assigned to our account said he hasn't
deployed a single IPv6 connection in 5 years of being with the company.
  He personally knew of no one other than a few government entities even
doing any testing.

Anecdotally, it sounds like the IPv6 transition is moving right along.

Ron Cleven