[arin-ppml] Alternative to arbitrary transfers

Kevin Kargel kkargel at polartel.com
Mon Apr 6 16:48:05 EDT 2009

There are a number of alternatives.  One that should not be dismissed is to
do nothing.  We have a working system.  If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Another alternative would be some system whereby ARIN makes available to the
public returned netblocks, through a public offering or drawing where the
receiver would reimburse the relinquisher (ok, I made that word up) the fees
paid to ARIN for the block to date.  That would establish a cap on the cost.

I don't claim to have all the answers, but that does not mean I should sit
idly by while dangerous or deadly actions are planned.

I do continue to suggest we look harder for alternatives that do not
establish an IP market.