[arin-ppml] The AC has a job to do with 2009-1 can you please help?

Joe Maimon jmaimon at chl.com
Mon Apr 6 15:49:20 EDT 2009

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

<snipped lots of good points well reasoned and argued>

> ARIN and our community should be making EVERY EFFORT to figure out
> ways to FORCE people OUT of IPv4 because WE HAVE THE MOST TO LOSE IF
> WE DON'T.

My point was simply that we cannot FORCE anyone to be happy with IPv6
and cease their demands for IPv4.

They will do what they decide they want to do.

We can try to persuade, coax, or be the most tempting and logical course
of action.

We have no mechanism to force anyone to cease and desist in their
pursuit for IPv4.

We can try to make it unpleasant to to so in our sandbox, but that may
simply create incentive to get us kicked out of said sandbox.

> You want the US to become an island of IPv4 in the sea of IPv6
> in the rest of the worlds Internet, just go right ahead with this
> foolishness.  Sure, make it easy to keep truckin' with IPv4 post
> runout.  Make it super easy.  Who cares if a few poor people get
> tossed off the Internet or become permanent second-class citizens
> behind a translator somewhere, when it lets the major ISPs wring
> another few years out of their IPv4 networks.  Who cares if the rest
> of the world rings the US with IPv4<->IPv6 proxies that oh, by the way,
> make nice black boxes that they can use to filter us out.

Wouldnt all this provide the FORCE to IPv6 you are looking for?

I believe that we cannot afford to be an obstacle to peoples demands in
this arena.