[arin-ppml] Alternative to arbitrary transfers

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Mon Apr 6 15:32:52 EDT 2009

On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 2:33 PM, Seth Mattinen <sethm at rollernet.us> wrote:
>> Assuming that people agree to return space to ARIN without the encouragement
>> of a chunk of cash that a transfer market might bring, how should ARIN
>> decide which requests to grant and which to deny when there are more
>> requests than space available? The options I see (in no particular order)
>> are:
>
> IP addresses aren't the property of the holder, thus they should not be
> able to sell or profit from the exchange of something that doesn't
> belong to them in the first place.

Seth,

Should it be legitimate to for me to compensate you for the cost of
re-engineering your network so that it consumes fewer IP addresses
than it used to? Thereby freeing up some IP addresses that I can use?

If not, why should you or I or anyone else undertake such an expensive effort?

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004