[arin-ppml] The AC has a job to do with 2009-1 can you please help?

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Mon Apr 6 14:55:23 EDT 2009

Stephen,

The IPv4 "scarcity" is fake, it doesn't exist in reality - it is something
that was created when they decided to use 32-bit integers for IP numbers
and stuff both the network number and host number into the same number.

Somebody thought they were being clever with this little experimental
toy network they were playing with and whoops - it got away from them.

Basically your Paleocon analogy is false, it's like saying that a capitalist
market exists in drivers license numbers or social security numbers and
since
we aren't charging money for SS numbers, we are going to run out of them.
It's like arguing for air pollution so that we can develop a market
in selling oxygen to people.

The closest "scarcity" analogy to the IPv4 situation would be the
DeBeers control of the world's fine diamond supply.
DeBeers deliberately sets up a scarcity in diamonds to manipulate
the price, then calls the diamond market a capitalist investment
market, when in reality it's a communist market - the only real
scarcity there is in diamonds is in the flawless blue white
investment grade - the DeBeers vaults are stuffed full of the
less-than-flawless stuff they miser out for use in wedding rings, etc.

BAD network design - such as the address translator - are a result
of this artifically created scarcity.

IPv6 rectifies this and once the world switches over to IPv6 all
this capitalist/communist claptrap will be seen by everyone for the
nonsense that it is - there is no market in an effectively infinite supply
of integers.

Ted