[arin-ppml] Alternative to arbitrary transfers

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Mon Apr 6 13:27:07 EDT 2009

Kevin Kargel wrote:
> [...]

Existing policy already adequately covers M&A transfers.  And, in that
case, it _is_ important that a particular set of addresses be
transferred since, in a legitimate M&A transfer, the addresses are being
transferred along with the equipment (and customers, etc.) that
justified them and are already in use, which should not be arbitrarily
interrupted.

> ... it still holds that returned addresses need to be made available to the community and not pirated peer2peer for profit.

That is your opinion, not fact, and calling it "piracy" is a
disingenuous attempt to sway others for reasons that have nothing to do
with the debate at hand.

> If there were to be an IP market then ARIN should be the monopolistic broker.  Of course that is not possible while maintaining not-for-profit status.

A registry (like your county clerk for deed recordings) is not a
"monopolistic broker".  Please leave the legal claims and
interpretations to ARIN's counsel, who is paid to handle such issues for
us and quite competent at it.