[arin-ppml] "Could the Internet run out of space?" (CNN quotes from Ben Edelman)

Kevin Kargel kkargel at polartel.com
Mon Apr 6 11:26:17 EDT 2009

I didn't think I was being that hard to understand.  It is really pretty
simple.  With ARIN overseeing and administering the transfers costs to the
community will of course rise, but not to nearly the same level as they will
in an unregulated commodities market.

Another danger that will be minimized (not eliminated) when IP address
allocations are under ARIN oversight are unfair business practices by those
with the budget to control the market.  I feel it is imperative that IP
availability be fairly accessible to the entire community.  The ability to
channel and tunnel IP ownership by corporate policy is very dangerous.  IP's
need to be available to the community at large on a fair and level playing
field.  Allowing one corporation to dictate who gets IP's defeats that.

Where did you get the idea that "if we don't allow transfers, then scarce
IPv4 addresses become less scarce, and less expensive"?  Nobody said that.
Or are you saying that if there is a commodities market that IPv4 will be
less scarce and expensive?  There are not too many who would believe that.