[arin-ppml] FW: Timeline for 2008-6 and 2009-1

Kevin Kargel kkargel at polartel.com
Mon Apr 6 11:15:43 EDT 2009

> > On Apr 3, 2009, at 11:28 AM, Kevin Kargel wrote:
> >> [From: jcurran]
> >>    The Board ultimately carries the responsibility to determine
> >>    the policies of the ARIN, although this has to date always
> >>    been the result of ratifying the recommendation of the ARIN
> >>    Advisory Council.  The AC exists to advise the Board on policy
> >>    matters, and as such the Board considers its recommendations
> >>    very seriously.
> >>
> >>    The issues raised by 2009-1 should be discussed here on this
> >>    list, at public policy meeting in San Antonio, and by the AC
> >>    in their deliberations.  The Board will need to weigh all of
> >>    these to determine if any policy changes are needed.
> >>
> >> Thanks!
> >> /John
> >>
> > Wow..  That did a pretty good job of explaining the board's
> > attitude.  Wow.
>
> Kevin -
>
>    For clarity, it's not practical for me to engage the entire
>    ARIN Board on a hours notice to review each email that I
>    send, so it's not safe to consider the above an official
>    statement of the Board.  I do think it reflects the Board's
>    view (or would have put a personal disclaimer on it), but
>    can't guarantee it, and hence you should consider it to be
>    "John's attitude" as opposed to "the board's attitude"...
>
>    Meta-comment on pedigree of my email aside, I am curious
>    about your "Wow" comment.  This shouldn't actually be a
>    big surprise, as the Board is ultimately responsible for
>    the actions of organization, and with that comes the duty
>    to ensure fidelity to the mission.  While we have had the
>    benefit of excellent advice from the AC over the years
>    (and hope it to continue for many more to come :-), it is
>    indeed the ARIN Board's duty to ensure resource policy
>    which best meets the organization's mission.
>
> /John

I guess the wow was mainly from seeing an actual strong statement.  Also
from what I read as an inference that the board would do what it wanted to
do regardless of community consensus.

I agree that the board has thus far done an amazing job and amazing things
for the community and society.  I hope and trust that fear does not
undermine or change the basic focus of the board, which has in my
observation been to maintain a fluid and efficient shepherd without
excessive oversight.

I cannot stress enough my gratitude and admiration for the job ARIN has done
in the past.

Kevin