[arin-ppml] The AC has a job to do with 2009-1, can you please help?

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Fri Apr 3 19:24:03 EDT 2009

>From the Policy Development Process;

https://www.arin.net/policy/pdp.html

---------
7. Special Policy Actions
7.1. Emergency PDP

The Board of Trustees may initiate the Emergency PDP by
declaring an emergency and posting a draft policy to the PPML
for discussion for a minimum of 10 business days. The
Advisory Council will review the draft policy within 5 business
days of the end of the discussion period and make a
recommendation to the Board of Trustees. If the Board of
Trustees adopts the policy, it will be presented at the next
public policy meeting for reconsideration.
----------

The Board as has initiated 2009-1 through the Emergency
PDP, the PDP gives them this ability, it specifically assigns a
task to the Advisory Council.

"The Advisory Council will review the draft policy within 5
business days of the end of the discussion period and make a
recommendation to the Board of Trustees."

Personally, I think this as a very serious obligation, even more
than normal, because most of the normal process will not be
happening.

You may agree or disagree with the Board's decision to
declare an Emergency and use the Emergency PDP, you are
free to argue that point.  I will not because even if I argued it, I
and the other AC members still have an obligation to make a
recommendation to the Board.

As part of that obligation to make a recommendation to the
Board, several AC members have tried to start threads
analysing the language of the proposal in detail and requesting
the thread remain for that purpose.  I believe we have received
several helpful insights, through these threads.  But
unfortunately the threads are very quickly dragged into
discussion of diametrically opposing points of view, protests of
the process, etc..., but not the language of the text.

No one is asking for you to with hold your points of view, we
are simply asking that you allow one thread to focus on the text
of the proposal.  If you feel the need to protest the process or
reiterate your view of transfer policies, pro or con, for the
umpteenth time.  PLEASE split it off the thread, trust me I'll still
read it.

However, I personally feel about the process issues, I don't
think the AC would be doing it's job if we only commented on
the process issues, one why other the other.  Beyond the
process issues I believe we are obligated to comment on the
language and how to make the language better.  If the board
proceedes with 2009-1, and the AC doesn't provide feed back
in regard to the language too.  That would be classic "Cutting
off the nose to spite the face" type of action.

If you feel I'm whining or bitching, I'm trying not to;

I'm trying to ask;

The AC has a job to do with 2009-1, can you please help?

Thank you

=======
David Farmer				     Email:
farmer at umn.edu
Office of Information Technology
Networking & Telecomunication Services
University of Minnesota			     Phone:	612-626-
0815
2218 University Ave SE			     Cell:
612-812-9952
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029		     FAX:	612-626-
1818