[arin-ppml] Alternative to arbitrary transfers

Steve Bertrand steve at ibctech.ca
Fri Apr 3 20:37:18 EDT 2009

Seth Mattinen wrote:
> Here's a random idea I came up with (while making nachos, so I didn't
> think about it too hard). Instead of arbitrarily transferring resources
> how about:
>
> 1) Org A returns the resource to ARIN with the intent that org B will
> use it.
> 2) ARIN places a hold (say, 60 days) on the resource.
> 3) Org B applies for the resource-in-holding through the normal "I need
> more space" process.
> 4) If org B doesn't do their part or is unable to qualify within 60
> days, the hold is lifted and it becomes just any other
> reclaimed/returned resource.

5) If org A's IPv4 number resource is returned to ARIN's free pool, and
it is of size /NN or greater (whether org B complies with "their part"
or not), then org A receives a fee waiver for either: their next year
renewal of their IPv6 allocation (no matter the size), or if they don't
have one, their first year allocation fee.

For each /NN or greater, one year of IPv6 allocation fee be waived.

If anyone is going to profit from the IPv4 exhaustion, perhaps those who
have the 'community' at heart by returning those resources and are
working toward IPv6 adoption receive such a kickback.

Steve