[arin-ppml] On whether morality can be the loneargumentagainsta transfer market (was Re: 2008-6: EmergencyTransferPolicyfor IPv4 Addresses)

Alexander, Daniel Daniel_Alexander at Cable.Comcast.com
Tue Sep 30 23:38:38 EDT 2008

Kevin,

"still or need" may have been a poor choice of words. I did not mean to
imply that paid transfers were a forgone conclusion. I was only trying
to direct the question to those who feel that paid transfers are
necessary, and whether they would still feel that way if the last RIR /8
was rationed for extending IPv4 allocations, AND a functional IPv4/IPv6
translator was available.

-Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: arin-ppml-bounces at arin.net [mailto:arin-ppml-bounces at arin.net] On
Behalf Of Kevin Kargel
Sent: Tuesday, September 30, 2008 5:10 PM
To: ppml at arin.net
Subject: Re: [arin-ppml] On whether morality can be the
loneargumentagainsta transfer market (was Re: 2008-6:
EmergencyTransferPolicyfor IPv4 Addresses)

Sigh, the internet doesn't "need" paid transfers now, so then no, it
would not "still" need paid transfers.

Despite all the talk there is no forgone conclusion that a transfer
policy is a requirement.  To the contrary, the transfer policy talk is
preventing people from returning unused space.  Why would anyone
surrender unneeded IP space if there were a likelyhood or even a
possibility that that space will hold monetary value?