[arin-ppml] 2008-6: Emergency Transfer Policy for IPv4 Addresses

Paul Schopis pschopis at oar.net
Tue Sep 30 11:33:07 EDT 2008

It seems to me we keep going in circles on the arguments of for or
against adopting the policy. I am currently reading "Hot, Flat and
Crowded" Thomas Friedman's new book. In it he argues one of the major
crisis facing America and the world is a phenomena he refers to as
"dumb as we want to be". It basically says we have lost the ability to
face the big challenges and offers as an example (among others) the
mortgage bailout. He claims we are selling off our grandchildren's
future because we cannot get our own house in order.  In other words,
we literally live like there is no tomorrow finding only temporary
fixes because we refuse to deal with real issues.

It seems to me we are trying to create an artificial market out of a
public resource, in which some will make a couple of bucks. The life
of the market will be very limited and very few will benefit in my
estimation because at the end of the day, IPv4 will run out. Demand
will outstrip supply no matter how much money is involved.

I think that if as a community, we spent half as much time addressing
how we get IPv6 deployed and operational as we are debating this band
aide approach we would all be considerably better off.