[arin-ppml] 2008-6: Emergency Transfer Policy for IPv4 Addresses

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Mon Sep 29 21:35:39 EDT 2008

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> [...]

There is currently no policy that allows ARIN to make such a
determination or invalidate an "abandoned" assignment for any reason
other than non-payment of fees -- which most assignments are not subject
to.  That was part of the original rationale for 2007-14, but so far it
hasn't gained consensus.

> I cannot prevent people from squatting in that empty house down the street but when property values go up I can buy that lot and bulldoze the house and do what I want with the lot, and the squatters will just have to kiss off.

That depends.  If they've been there long enough, they may be entitled
to the land under "adverse possession" and the deed you paid for is
worthless.