[arin-ppml] 2008-6: Emergency Transfer Policy for IPv4 Addresses

David Williamson dlw+arin at tellme.com
Mon Sep 29 17:04:36 EDT 2008

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 09:50:03PM +0100, michael.dillon at bt.com wrote:
> Any organization
> which no longer needs addresses, returns them to ARIN.

Given a scarcity of a resource, all network operators are suddenly
going to become altruistic and return unused space for the general
good?

What you outline is much the same as what is being proposed.  You
identify two transactions: one where space is returned, and one where
it is handed out.  Most of the proposals have the same overall impact,
except that there's just a single transaction moderated by ARIN as a
middleman verifying the transaction, and money changes hands.

Outside of the cash part, I don't see a substantial difference.  The
money serves as motivation for the first party to let go of unneeded
space.  That incentive seems important, since I don't think most
network operators are prone to gratuitous altruism.

Are people really so worried about introducing money to the transaction?

-David