[arin-ppml] 2008-6: Emergency Transfer Policy for IPv4 Addresses

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Mon Sep 29 13:28:41 EDT 2008

> Sales of heroin to schoolchildren already happen and there
> are rules against
> it..  Are you saying that because it happens it should be legalized or
> deregulated?

My point was that IP address transfers among organizations are not
"derivative" markets and are not that big a deal; they already happen
and are legitimate. The only difference is allowing people to pay or get
paid for transfers. You compare them to sales of heroin to
schoolchildren. A real advance in the dialogue, thanks. I am deeply
impressed and will totally reconsider my position.

Milton Mueller
Professor, Syracuse University School of Information Studies
XS4All Professor, Delft University of Technology