[arin-ppml] ARIN releases new version of the Legacy Registration

Howard, W. Lee Lee.Howard at stanleyassociates.com
Thu Sep 25 10:32:08 EDT 2008

What follows are my own opinions, which may not necessarily
reflect how I vote as a community representative or a
fiduciary of ARIN, and certainly couldn't reflect the opinion
of ARIN staff, Board, AC, or counsel, since they haven't made
their opinions known to me.

In general, I agree with you.
However, there is a policy area around, "What are the
rights of legacy assignees, and what are ARIN's obligations
to them?"  Debating the contract terms in specific should be
out of scope, but debating the general framework is well
within the public policy arena.  IMHO.

Cliff makes an excellent argument, that if a legacy signer
later drops out, both parties are no worse off than they
are now.  However, since that may not always be the case
(for either ARIN, or the legacy signer, or both), and the
whole point of the LRSA is to "normalize" the relationship,
I still believe that once an organization is committed to
participating, their commitment should be binding, except
where they are compelled (for "cause" as defined in the
contract) to withdraw.

People on this list made excellent, clear, and fair
suggestions about how to rework the LRSA, and ARIN listened
and modified it significantly.  The only suggestion that
was not accepted, from what I've seen, is that Legacy
holders-signers be able to take their football and
go home in a snit.  If ARIN does something wrong ("cause")
you can justifiably have a snit and go home.  Otherwise, I
think everyone should be in the same boat.  Playing football.
It's a big boat.

Get on board!

Lee

PS: It doesn't matter whether the "football" is American or
what the rest of the world plays, the metaphor works
equally poorly.