[arin-ppml] ARIN releases new version of the Legacy Registration

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Wed Sep 24 19:23:37 EDT 2008

Owen DeLong wrote:
>> Actually what I said was it would go back to the status of the
>> non-signers of the LRSA.  If that is considered undefined, that's
>> what it would go back to.  I tend to think the status is maybe
>> "special circumstances"  Those who use their space and have up to
>> date info are being served by ARIN.  You can lookup 192.68.145.0 and
>> I'm in the database and ARIN says as of now they don't plan to change
>> that if I don't sign. As per the LRSA page at ARIN
>>
> That status is undefined.  While ARIN currently (and likely will
> continue) provides these services to legacy holders for free, it is
> unclear if ARIN has any continuing obligation to do so. It is my
> understanding that a valid contract must contain defined provisions
> for what happens at termination.  A return to an undefined state does
> not appear to be plausible in a valid contract.
>
> How would you define the "special status" without turning it into a
> continuing single-sided obligation on ARIN?  Once services are covered
> by a contract, termination of the contract generally is expected to
> lead to termination of the services.  In the meantime, you happen to
> be getting services without a contract, but, nothing guarantees that
> those services will be continued without a contract. Nothing says they
> won't.

I think LRSA 14(c) covers this with "the Legacy Agreement will be
terminated and the Included Number Resources will resume the status they
had prior to the Legacy Agreement."  I think what folks are asking for
is that the same would apply for _any_ termination, not just a subset of
them.  If that's what it takes for folks to sign it, fine.

However, I want to reiterate that, unless someone on the AC or BoT tells
me otherwise, modifications to the LRSA are a matter for individuals to
take up with ARIN's counsel and not on PPML.  PPML is for debating
policy, not contracts.