[arin-ppml] "IPv6 and the Business-Case Skeptics" (slashdot)

Wettling, Fred Fred.Wettling at Bechtel.com
Fri Sep 19 07:04:12 EDT 2008

Suggest that you take a take look at the source Network World chat that
prompted the Slashdot article.

Title: Experts make a solid business case for IPv6

Link:
http://www.networkworld.com/chat/archive/2008/091108-ipv6-strategies-chat.ht
ml

Regards - Fred

From: arin-ppml-bounces at arin.net [mailto:arin-ppml-bounces at arin.net] On
Behalf Of Paul Vixie
Sent: Thursday, September 18, 2008 11:03 AM
To: mcr at simtone.net

>   "satisfied with all of its Internet services"  <--this might be empty.
:-).

>   I guess that also means, "has no plans for expansion"

it's the wrong rubrik.  folks happy with ipv4 will need to run dual stack in
order to reach the people who will come later on and not be able to get
enough ipv4 or won't want to pay for it or are, for whatever reason, not
satisfied with THEIR ipv4-only internet services.

so expansion is a barbell.  you can run out of ipv4, or other people can,
and either way you've got to run dual-stack as soon as economically
possible, and the economics are actually quite favourable (i.e., it's kinda