[arin-ppml] Taking back UNUSED addresses.

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Thu Sep 18 13:21:53 EDT 2008

Dale W. Carder wrote:
> On Sep 16, 2008, at 3:19 PM, Stephen Sprunk wrote:
>>  Also, 52% of the network records and 48% of org records haven't been
>> updated since 1997
>
> For one datapoint, we have been at the same street address as when we
> were on CSNET 20+ years ago.  My guess would be that not a whole lot
> of legacy .edu's have moved that couldn't be found easily.

OTOH, those prefixes should be showing up in the DFZ, so I'm not
particularly concerned about them.

However, IT departments _do_ change address even if the overall
university doesn't; area codes change, POCs change, NSes, change, etc.
For instance, out of the 11 OrgID records I see in a query for
"University of Wisconsin", 10 have been updated since 2001; 3 of 5 ASN
records have been updated; and 14 of 18 network records have been
updated.  And, with UW having at least some resources under RSA, I'm not
particularly worried about the others even if they _aren't_ in use,
though it'd be nice if you'd return them if not.

>> Unfortunately, those statistics do not account for the varying size
>> of legacy blocks; they just count records, which could be anywhere
>> from /8 to /24.
>
> We've returned most of our swamp /24's that I know of, but I doubt
> having substantially more of the swamp show up in the DFZ would be in
> everyone's best interest.

Current policy would not allow ARIN to hand them back out as /24s.  If
some could be aggregated into /20s, that's a good thing.  And, most
importantly, if they're not registered to anyone, then spammers (or
anyone else who can't get legitimate space -- which will be a lot of
folks in a few years) can't hijack them.