[arin-ppml] Taking back UNUSED addresses.

Chris Grundemann cgrundemann at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 19:15:17 EDT 2008

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 2:52 PM, Leo Bicknell <bicknell at ufp.org> wrote:
> Unfortunately I can't think of a more effective way to figure out
> which space to reclaim than to tell all those still using the space
> to sign a contract and pay a fee yearly, and any block without a
> contract after a particular date will be automatically reclaimed.

What about cleaning up WHOIS?  There are two policy proposals that aim
to (among other things) locate fallow space by identifying any space
with no active POC.  Would that be an effective approach, in your
opinion?

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 3:26 PM, Davey, George <george at dmu.edu> wrote:
> 99.9% Hacking/spamming occurs from compromised Windows boxes connected on properly allocated non-legacy IP blocks, such as rr.com DSL for instance.

I believe the hijacking referred to is more along the line of ORG X
deciding to "take" an orphaned block and start using it or assigning
it to customers.  Since there is no legitimate way to record this
squatting in a meaningful way; there is not a lot stopping multiple
bad actors to do the same thing and create quite a mess.  Of course
even if all space is in use (being advertised) there remains the
potential that ORG X decide to "take" a block that is in use on the
other side of the globe and start using it.  The difference is that in
the second scenario, the rightful owner of the hijacked block will
more than likely notice and report the hijacking.  In the first
scenario, chaos reigns as the rightful owner is not a player.

--
Chris Grundemann
www.linkedin.com/in/cgrundemann