[arin-ppml] A compromise on legacy space?

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Thu Sep 11 18:47:44 EDT 2008

But it WAS spelled out for the post-legacy holders.

As for the argument that "legacy holders own their IPv4 addresses"
that is an entirely separate discussion from the concept that
ANY IPv4/IPv6 address holder "owns" their IP address allocations.

I frankly don't believe that it even was spelled out to the
legacy holders that they ever would "own" their IPv4 assignments,
but I also don't think that it is worth attempting to get into
an argument with legacy holders at this time who are "defending
their ownership" of their legacy blocks.  If you want to hold to
that, then go ahead - you must, however, be bound by your own
definition of "ownership" which INCLUDES the legal concept of
"abandonment of property"  Meaning that if a legacy holder
fails to use their IPv4, then by your own definition, they
have abandonded their ownership of it.

Ted