[arin-ppml] LRSA taking back addresses

Cliff Bedore cliffb at cjbsys.bdb.com
Tue Sep 9 15:35:53 EDT 2008

Quoting from the ARIN legacy page

"Note that ARIN will not reclaim unutilized address space from legacy
holders who sign this RSA, nor will ARIN attempt to take away legacy
resources from organizations who choose not to sign it. However, signing
the Legacy RSA contractually locks in a set of rights, and thus reduces
the risk of future change to a minimum."

Note the section that says " nor will ARIN attempt to take away legacy
resources from organizations who choose not to sign it."  So if I don't
sign it, my address space is safe but if I sign it and then want to
terminate for any reason, ARIN can reclaim the addresses.  What's wrong
with this picture?  At a minimum, the address space should fall back to
the status of those who don't sign the LRSA at all.

Slightly tongue in cheek, the section "However, signing the Legacy RSA
contractually locks in a set of rights, and thus reduces the risk of
future change to a minimum." doesn't sound a whole lot different from
two guys walking into a neighborhood store and saying "You know there's
a lot of crime and arson in this area.  If you sign a contract for our
security service, your risks in this neighborhood will not be as high as
if you don't sign with us."

Cliff