[arin-ppml] LRSA taking back addresses

Eric Westbrook arin-ppml at westbrook.com
Wed Sep 10 11:25:14 EDT 2008

On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 8:37 AM, Stephen Sprunk <stephen at sprunk.org> wrote:

> That is the situation today (a point I think the FAQ doesn't make
> clear), but future policy may change.  For instance, next year, ARIN
> could adopt a proposal to revoke all legacy space.  Signing an LRSA
> before that happened would contractually prevent ARIN from applying that
> policy to you.

IANAL (although I do often stay at Holiday Inn Express), but that's not how
I read it.

LRSA signatories agree to be bound by all ARIN policy except where
specifically superceded by LRSA terms themselves.  I don't see such a
superceding clause excluding revocation by current or future policy.

If ARIN were to revoke all legacy registrations by policy (without
mentioning an LRSA exclusion)... poof.

Indeed, if ARIN were to make or change any kind of policy under which some
LRSA registration was then subject to revocation...  poof.  The unlikeliness
of such actions might be extremely low, but as long as the mechanism exists,
I think this kind of exposure is what makes legacy holders reluctant to sign
up.

I've been suggesting that the LRSA explicitly do what it sounds like you
feel it already does, that is, assert that protection explicitly.

If anyone can correct my understanding of the language in the LRSA, to the
effect that does indeed protect against this concern, I would be thrilled to
learn about it.

Thanks,
Eric