[arin-ppml] A compromise on legacy space?

Brian Johnson bjohnson at drtel.com
Wed Sep 10 09:29:24 EDT 2008

On
> Behalf Of Lee Dilkie
> Sent: Tuesday, September 09, 2008 5:27 PM
> To: arin-ppml at arin.net
> Subject: Re: [arin-ppml] A compromise on legacy space?

<snip>

> I find it hard to believe, in this day of $169 Terabyte drives, that
> *one* entry , that doesn't change, in a database would cost anything
> close to $1, never mind $100. And I also suspect that the number of
> in-addr and whois lookups for my /24 would be a tiny miniscule
fraction
> of those for a /8 and the bandwidth cost would be next to nothing.
>
> As for all the other services ARIN provides, outreach, meetings, etc,
> etc. Frankly, legacy owners don't need, or use, any of it.
>
> Is there an way to create a separate "legacy" RIR to simply maintain
> existing legacy records, whois and in-addr. Minimal staff (one would
> likely suffice). Let them paid the costs. I find that the arin-ppml
> list
> is obsessed with issues from the 90's while matters for 2010 and
beyond
> are languishing.
>
> -lee

exhaustion, ARIN even needs to do anything with legacy space. Why not
just put them in a box and set them in a closet. Provide them no
services except entries saying that these are legacy assignments... good
luck, if any entries at all.  I would like to see how soon people start
black-hole routing ranges and blocking access for legacy holders to
their networks due to possible abuse.

As a regional provider, I would block any questionable access from
networks without valid contact details readily available. One of my
resources is IP based WHOIS. It could be possible that in the event of
malicious traffic from Lee's network, I would block access to my network
and/or other providers may do the same. This may inspire the legacy
space holders to either get in the boat, or build their own. I think
ARIN would likely be less costly, but have done no research to support
that claim.

I also thought legacy holders always boasted that they were among the
creators/innovators of the Internet. Lee's statements indicate a
stagnant thought pattern. That the Internet is what it is and that's it.
It appears to me that ARIN membership is now taking over the innovator
role for the Internet and that some/most legacy holders are more of a
barrier than a player/enabler/innovator.

The good news is that there will be no legacy space in IPv6. If/when we
move to IPv6 this is a non-issue.

Just my 2 cents. Flame on.

- Brian