[arin-ppml] ARIN releases new version of the Legacy Registration

Jeremy H. Griffith jhg at omsys.com
Sun Sep 7 20:14:20 EDT 2008

On Sun, 7 Sep 2008 22:17:00 +0000, bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com wrote:

>	As one time member of the IANA team under Jon and the original
>head of the reclaimation efforts (we recovered ~30% of the total address pool)
>i'd like to clarify what the IANA did to "invalidate any IP assignments once it 
>is determined the the requirement for the address space no longer exists."
>What we did was:
>	) contact the listed resource holder(s)#
>	) ask if they were still using the space
>	) if so, process any updates they provided
>	) if not, markt he space as "fallow" - leaving it usassignable for a period
># in some cases the organization no longer existed, in some cases the contect had died.

Thank you!  This means, then, that it was up to the registrant to
determine whether the requirement still existed.  That's what I
thought.  The LRSA should have exactly the same effect.

Could you clarify one other point, please?  IIRC, there was no
requirement for "non-commercial" use at the time I was issued
my Class C, in June 1992.  In fact, my communications about it
were by email, from my domain "omsys.com" (obtained from UUNET
well before that).  So I was clearly not an .org, .edu, or .gov,
but nobody said anything about that.  What was the policy at IANA 
WRT commercial/non-commercial usage at that time?

>	The primary reason for the LRSA, imho, is to ensure that there is an 
>understanding between the resource holder(s) and the current registry. I'm all in
>favor of retaining the origina terms and conditions, inso far as is feasable/legal
>The fact remains that we are temporary users/stewards of the resources and that in
>100 years, it is unlikely that either ARIN or any of us will be around to assert rights
>under soem previous centurys  half remembered expectations. And given the surprizing 
>longevity of IPv4, I think it is prudent to re-sync the understandings btwn registry and

I agree, which is why I am persisting in trying to move the process
toward an LRSA that all legacy registrants would be comfortable

I have no problem with *some* fee.  I think $100 is a bit high for
a Class C, about right for a Class B, and *way* low for an A.  ;-)
Perhaps something like $25, $100, $1000?  With credits for A and B
if they return a /24 or more?  (It makes no sense for a C to return
anything but the full /24, since nothing longer is routable.)

I think we're getting closer.  Thanks, Bill!

--JHG <jhg at omsys.com>

More information about the ARIN-PPML mailing list