[arin-ppml] An ARIN request to return address space as a service to community?

Bill Darte BillD at cait.wustl.edu
Fri Sep 5 07:48:48 EDT 2008

I think that often it is necessary to deviate from the norm...like it or not. This may be such a time.

But, I think that whenever possible one should state the principles upon which one operates or wishes to do so.

Making a statement like the one I proposed...if the Board actually believed that they wished the outcome of freely returned addresses...would establish how the Board wished the system to operate and would explicitly encouraged appropriate behavior.

Regardless of whether the expression is received as quaint or out of touch, the BoT could proceed based upon whatever outcomes are reached.  Lots of addresses returned, great.  No addresses returned, next option.  Derision and chiding...ask those who do so for a better proposal.

I suspect that the BoT perceives it has done what I propose already implicitly, but I for one would like to see a similar statement issued especially to those who have so much and use so little.... to establish once and for all that the BoT believes the right thing to do is to return those resources to the community.

Again, personally.  I do not request that this statement or another similar be made.  That is for others to decide.  I merely answered Lee's question on how ARIN might ask for addresses to be returned.  In the hierarchy of possibilities he posed, this seemed to be the most simple, straighforward, and consistent with how I perceive the Internet community has/should operate.

bd