[arin-ppml] maintenance fees for legacy space holders

Eric Westbrook arin-ppml at westbrook.com
Thu Sep 4 17:40:02 EDT 2008

On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 2:17 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:

> In my opinion, in the legacy case, the purpose of the fee
> is to ensure that someone stands up once a year and says to
> ARIN "Yes, I'm still using that resource and it still has meaning
> to me. My contact information is still correct, thank you."

If the LRSA was written to that effect and nothing else (except perhaps
acknowledgement of the whois/rdns services et al as consideration), I'd
already have signed up.  I think I could very quickly get over the $100/yr
fee, even if it does feel a little high for the load a single-/24 guy like
me represents.

As it is, though, the LRSA contains provisions for potential seizure of the
resource's ultimate destiny.  That's what makes it unattractive.  I'm
speaking just for myself, of course, but I have been seeing others in my
situation posting to this list in apparent agreement.

So for me, it's not so much the monetary costs.  I'd love to pay.  Really, I
would.  I'd just rather not hand over the house's deed in order to pay the
electric bill.

$0.02,
Eric