[arin-ppml] the Transfer Policy Argument Space

Chris Grundemann cgrundemann at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 15:21:02 EDT 2008

I have posted an updated version of the Decision Tree:
http://odin.chrisgrundemann.com/Do_I_Support_A_Liberalized_Transfer_Policy.jpg

On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 10:36 AM, Howard, W. Lee
<Lee.Howard at stanleyassociates.com> wrote:
[...]
> I do think your questions on 4b presume that IPv6 is desirable.
> I don't think it's desirable per se, merely better than the
> alternatives.

Yes, I let my prejudice slip in there :).  I have added some notes to
the newest version for the 'IPv4 only' path on the top right and the
'not IPv4 or IPv6' path on the top left.  They instruct the user to
skip the v6 questions or replace v6 with whatever other solution is
decided upon, respectively.

> I think the question "Will any holders of large IP blocks actually
> 'sell' a significant amount" would be better phrased as, "Would
> address holders 'sell' enough IPv4 space to meet demand?"
> If yes, go to the speculators question.
> If no:
> "Can demand be reduced enough to fit within suppy?"
>  If yes, we have to ask how, but we can go back to the green path.
>  If no, we may need to ask whether it'll stall disaster long
>  enough to matter, but we end up at the Big Red One.

Great suggestion, thank you.  I have modified the drawing to reflect it.

On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 11:39 AM, David Farmer <farmer at umn.edu> wrote:
[...]
> What did you use to make it?  Could you make the native form available?  If
> people think it would help, I'm happy to make some large format printouts
> and bring them to LA to put up as a posters on a couple walls, to facilitate
> discussion.  (It is really nice to have the CAD guys down the hall with their
> large format printer :-))

I used Visio 2003 - I know that Visio has many compatibility issues
but I am more than willing to make it available.  Is there a better
format that more folks could work with (.vdx, .svg, .dwg, etc)?  Or
should I just post the .vsd?  I think it would be great to have some
printouts of the final version available at the meeting (but I think
my kids are great too ;)).

> Rather that attaching the yes output of "Are liberlized Address transfers
> helpful to maintain the/a IPv4 Internet" to "will speculators ....." I would attach
> it to "will address holders return unused space without additional incentives"

Agreed, I made this change in the updated the diagram.

> I think some of Lee Howard's comments are interesting too, maybe try
> incorporating some of them too.

Agreed and done.

> Thanks and happy to have you run with the idea, let me know if you need to
> hand it back.  I don't want it to drop, but I don't have the me the one that
> runs with it.

Thank you!

~Chris

 --