[arin-ppml] the Transfer Policy Argument Space

Howard, W. Lee Lee.Howard at stanleyassociates.com
Thu Sep 4 10:15:49 EDT 2008

Owen DeLong and Bill Darte said:
> ARIN should encourage entities with free space to return it.

What form should that encouragement take?

1.  "The ARIN Board of Trustees encourages those entities with
free address space to return it to ARIN."
2.  "The ARIN Board of Trustees offers one large, chewy
chocolate chip cookie to any entity with free address space
who returns it to ARIN."
3.  ARIN reduces fees on remaining space.
4.  ARIN offers publicity for those who return space.
5.  ARIN offers prizes to those who return space.  What prizes?
6.  ARIN offers cash to those who return space.  How much?
7.  Fill in the blank _____________________

In case anyone sitting on big chunks of addresses is feeling
discouraged, I encourage you to return space to ARIN.

Not to be pessimistic, but I don't think there's enough unused
address space to matter, unless we also reduce the rate at which
we assign IPv4 address space.

Lee