[arin-ppml] the Transfer Policy Argument Space

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Wed Sep 3 14:21:22 EDT 2008

On 3 Sep 2008 John Schnizlein wrote:

> Mapping the space is a good start.  Thank you for proposing it.
>
> Keeping the dimensions of this as nearly orthogonal as possible should
>  help. I propose factoring your #2 and #3 into these two:
>
> 2. IPv6 will eventually succeed, because of the inadequacy of IPv4
> addressing to support the growth of the Internet.

Do you intend this to replace the old #2, I'm not sure it captures everything
that was in it, but I do like this

> 3. How should the resulting scarcity of routable IPv4 addresses be
> managed, with arbitrary administrative rules, or with constrained
> transfers?

This is in the form of a questions with two choices, I believe arguments are
better in the form of declarative sentences. And again I'm not sure it covers
everything that was in my original #3

> I would also add, because it seems to be the elephant in the room,
>
> 4. How much burden on the routing infrastructure (DFZ) would be
> produced by the de-aggregation that would result from a transfer
> policy?  For example, is the constraint that transfers must be within
> the space administered by a single RIR necessary?

I like this, but again it is in the form of a question(s) and not an argument.

David Farmer				     Email:	farmer at umn.edu
Office of Information Technology
Networking & Telecomunication Services
University of Minnesota			     Phone:	612-626-0815
2218 University Ave SE			     Cell:		612-812-9952
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029		     FAX:	612-626-1818