[arin-ppml] Privacy rights & IP number whois ( was Re: The LRSA $100 fee...)

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Tue Sep 2 12:13:12 EDT 2008

> -----Original Message-----
> From: McTim [mailto:dogwallah at gmail.com]
> I think that question is disingenuous,

No, it isn't. And your response proves it, because it says exactly what
I thought it would:

> The level of specificity of IP
> Whois has always been granularly set so that the appropriate folk can
> be contacted in case of network trouble/abuse/DDos/outage, not for any
> socio-economic reason.

Right! Exactly. So first we establish the PURPOSE of the data, and what
are the limits of its appropriate use, and THEN we can settle on how
"complete and accurate" it is.

The problem with DNS Whois is that the order of those questions has been
reversed.

On the other hand, if you put a bunch of commercially and legally useful
but potentially sensitive private information into Whois that can be
used indiscriminately for any purpose by any person on the planet at any
time and for any reason, then people are going to deliberately put
shielded or guarded or inaccurate information into it.

> Yes, but that wasn't TVs query, which was:
>
> >> 1. Do you think that the completeness and accuracy of current DNS
> >> whois is the right standard for IP number whois?

I don't think _anything_ about current DNS Whois should serve as a model
for IP address Whois. Not the access policy, not the accuracy or
"completeness" not anything.