[arin-ppml] IPv4 is depleted today

Kevin Kargel kkargel at polartel.com
Tue Sep 2 09:55:58 EDT 2008

<<Enormous snipping leaving hugely out of context quote>>

>>You are right.  We should just kill the transfer policy idea and be
done with it.

>>Ted

I tend to agree Ted, I think for the most part nobody is going to do
anything real until AFTER they are denied new IPv4 addresses..  And
there is nothing we can do about it.

Change is painful for the human mind, and people will avoid change and
risk for as long as absolutely possible.  The runout is going to happen,
and it is going to hurt.  It would hurt a lot less if people were
prepared, in fact it could be downright painless, but we don't really
have a right to force anyone to prepare.

The best thing I can see to do is to let IPv4 run out naturally, and
when that happens sit back and watch the show..  You and I will be
prepared, our customers will be able to get to most content providers,
there is not much more we can do.

IPv4 will not stop working, it will continue on.  Business in the
Internet will be as usual.  The only change will be a great slowing in
NEW hosts.

The human animal is basically lazy.  They will move to IPv6 when it is
less work than not moving, and not a moment before.

Kevin