[arin-ppml] The Library Book Approach to IPv4 Scarcity

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Thu Oct 30 12:06:00 EDT 2008

Chris Grundemann wrote:
> == Potential Proposal:
>
> Once every 12months each holder of IPv4 addresses is required to fully
> document their IP utilization and demonstrate that the current
> utilization standard for IPv4 assignments and allocations is being
> met. This shall include all currently held IPv4 space, regardless of
> origin or registration status.

Other than the period (see below), this is the degenerate case of
2007-14 -- and fear of that degenerate case is/was a major part of the
opposition to that proposal.  Like many others, I object to _all_
registrants being subjected to this process regularly, regardless of the
period; it should be up to ARIN staff to decide which registrants
require this sort of attention -- and where ARIN's (read: our) money is
most efficiently spent.  Reviewing all that documentation ain't cheap.

> A fee shall be assessed for underutilization or insufficient
> documentation.

ARIN is not -- and IMHO should not be -- in the business of levying
fines.  The only real enforcement powers ARIN has are (a) refusing to
allocate/assign new resources, and (b) revoking existing resources.  I
am very leery of changing that.

>     * The fee for one 12m period shall be waived if the address holder
> returns a contiguous block of IPv4 space equal to at least 1/256th of
> currently held space and no less than one /24 (class C equivalent) to
> ARINs free pool.
>     * The fee for one 12m period shall be waived if the address holder
> signs an ARIN RSA for any uncontested and unregistered IPv4 space,
> this waiver shall be restricted to one use per member organization.

There are existing policies that have a similar purpose which don't
appear to have had any significant effect to date.  Plus, fees (and any
waivers thereof) are generally the purview of the BoT.  However, I would
support the general idea of either of these proposals if they were not
tied to the above "library fee" proposal.

> 6) I originally considered a period of 24 months but shortened it to
> 12 months considering the rapid approach of IANA free pool exhaustion;
> 24 months will be far to long of an interval to have a significant
> impact on IPv4 availability.

2007-14 originally had a (minimum) 12-month window between reviews, but
there was a very strong consensus that that was too short, so we
modified it to 24 months.  I would suggest the same to you so that you
don't run into the same opposition.  It could be reduced later in a
separate proposal if it becomes absolutely necessary.