[arin-ppml] The Library Book Approach to IPv4 Scarcity

Kevin Kargel kkargel at polartel.com
Wed Oct 29 16:11:28 EDT 2008

<big snip>

> Fact is, I was rather curious myself about these situations
> so when we got our portable allocation years ago I kept
> advertising a /23 from one of our old blocks after
> renumbering out of it just to see what would happen.
> About a year later the block was finally assigned.  Trust me,
> if I had wanted to be a jerk about it, it would have gotten
> pretty bad for the org that got the numbers.
>
> Ted

This precisely illustrates the "cooperative" part of "cooperative anarchy".
If the world prefers to accept your advertisements over the recommendations
of ARIN or any other authority there is nothing stopping that from
happening, aside from the fact that it will be problematic and less than
wonderfully functional.

I suspect that if it started creating problems and people started making a
noise that your peers would have stopped accepting your advertisements.  You
can shout whatever network you want as loud as you want, but if nobody
listens it isn't going far.  With your credibility to your peers damaged
they may look askance at the rest of your operation and treat everything you
do as questionable.