[arin-ppml] The problem with IPv4 bogon and listing them

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Wed Oct 29 15:46:20 EDT 2008

Kevin, let's talk about bogons.  We have Cymru running their list here:

http://www.cymru.com/Documents/bogon-list.html

but, I'll quote from the text on the list:

"...IANA allocations change over time, so please check back regularly to
ensure you have the latest filters. I can not stress this point strongly
enough - these allocations change, as often as every four months...."

Checking back every 4 MONTHS?  So that
means if I request IPv4 that's dirty, on this list, and I get it, that I
have to wait
4 months before using it?  And that's just for the people out there who are
following
the recommendation.

People are generating router ACL's from this list, and NOT updating them in
any timely 4 month intervals.  Consider that it might take a couple YEARS
from delisting on this list for the subnets to be usable.

It would be very foolish in my opinion to place IPv4 that is returned from
orgs who have been using it, on to this list.  Frankly, ARIN should be
working through this list right NOW and identifying if any subnets on it
are theirs, and taking steps to recover those subnets and place them back
into the free pool.

Ted