[arin-ppml] The Library Book Approach to IPv4 Scarcity

Chris Grundemann cgrundemann at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 00:15:44 EDT 2008

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 9:21 PM, Jo Rhett <jrhett at svcolo.com> wrote:
> I am suggesting that the space gets recovered for reassignment.   This is
> significantly more consequential to people than paying a fee, and achieves
> the original goal of the proposal.

That is pretty much where I started; either you provide adequate
verifiable documentation of use, or you loose the space.  As I thought
about this though, I came to the conclusion that it would be too harsh
(for lack of a better word at the moment), at least at this point.
With the fear that no-excuses reclamation was too extreme, I
"softened" the penalty to a fee (to be set outside of the policy) and
further, gave a way (two actually) to avoid the fee (and even the
whole documentation process).  This was not intended to complicate the
policy, only to make it reach it's goal in a manner I hoped would be
more palatable (and easier to comply with) by the community as a
whole.

Perhaps there is a way to remove the penalty statement altogether and
still ensure that the policy is actually enforced (somehow)?