[arin-ppml] "Millions of Internet Addresses Are LyingIdle" (slashdot)

TJ trejrco at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 11:24:27 EDT 2008

Although this thread is devolving, let me add one comment

>>>3) Most importantly, how can the transition be incentivized?
>>

>> By pushing requests up the supply chain which is one thing that
>> governments are trying to do by mandating that publicly funded
>> agencies begin migrating to IPv6.
>>

>Ok, after we get all those publicly-funded agencies to IPv6, then all we
>have to worry about is all the rest of the Internet.

I don't believe that was quite the point.  The US Federal Government is one
of, if not the, largest IT products and services consumer in the world.
Getting IPv6 requirements added to those purchases not only gets them ready,
but forces ("incentivizes") the vendors & providers to get ready as well.  I
believe the latter was the real goal.

/TJ ... re-lurking