[arin-ppml] ["Lying Idle"]

Jo Rhett jrhett at svcolo.com
Wed Oct 22 02:03:56 EDT 2008

On Oct 21, 2008, at 3:53 PM, bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com wrote:
> 	this is patently false Jo. ARIN has put forth effort and
> 	continues to do so.  As Leslie mentioned last week, all
> 	the /8 holders have had outreach - and there are some
> 	14,000+ outstanding cases pending.  If Legacy Holders
> 	don't know, they should soon.

Patently false how?  From my own experience, that we discussed during
lunch last week:  I had 3 legacy blocks which I was the primary
contact for.  I had misunderstood the RSA contract to mean that these
blocks were covered under the RSA I signed for new blocks assigned.
This situation persisted for 13 years (admittedly 2 of which predate
ARIN) without me ever *EVER* receiving a single e-mail from ARIN
saying "This block is not covered by an RSA.  Would you please fill
this out and return it?" or any variant thereof.

And to be clear, these became covered by an RSA within X* hours of me
being aware of the situation, and that only happened within the last
calendar year.  10 years after ARIN became the steward for the
blocks.  And I became aware because of the need to transfer resources
to a new org id, not because ARIN contacted me about it.

* where X = the amount of time it took me to find all the previous
organizations (or the CEOs for defunct ones) involved and get signed
and notarized affidavits from them, something like 3.5 days.

So back to what I said before: what outreach effort?  What POC
validation?  I've never seen this, and I've been in a position which
*should* have seen *BOTH*.

--
Jo Rhett
senior geek