[arin-ppml] "Millions of Internet Addresses Are Lying Idle"(slashdot)

Jo Rhett jrhett at svcolo.com
Tue Oct 21 14:36:15 EDT 2008

On Oct 20, 2008, at 4:35 PM, Owen DeLong wrote:
> 	Attempting to reclaim the space is a bit like trying to get all
> the passengers to bring their hair dryers to the bow of the titanic
> in hopes we can melt the ice berg in time.

Sorry, I'm a factual guy.  Hyperbole like this does nothing to advance
the conversation.

> 	It has nothing to do with altering course.  It's an attempt
> to dismantle the wall.  As crazy as that sounds, the reality is
> that if we put focus on reclamation, there are those who will
> believe that it is a solution, not a band-aid.

Your first statement makes no sense -- delay does not equal prevent.

> 	We don't have infinite resources. As such, reclamation is
> definitely NOT the place where our limited resources will have
> the greatest effect.

I'm sorry, but how exactly is ARIN in a position to help the IPv6
migration?  Show me exactly which resources would be removed from IPv6
migration to do something about reclamation.

This is not an EITHER / OR scenario.  There is no battle over
resources here.

--
Jo Rhett
senior geek