[arin-ppml] Some observations on the differences in the varioustransfer policy proposals

Tom Vest tvest at pch.net
Mon Oct 20 12:54:58 EDT 2008

On Oct 20, 2008, at 11:04 AM, Milton L Mueller wrote:

> Just for the record, Tom's analogies between banking/currency and the
> management of IP addresses have no foundation in economic theory.
>
> IP addresses are NOT a medium of exchange, store of value, and unit of
> account; routing bloat is NOT "inflation;" etc. etc.

Thank you Milton.
Between your cumulating record of meaningless-to-false assertions on
the topic of Internet addressing, your utter lack of any expertise in
banking or monetary economics, and the awe-inspiring success of
orthodox theories about how banking works, I could scarcely ask for a
more ringing endorsement.

For others:

Victor Li, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta, "Is Why We Use Money
Important?"
http://www.frbatlanta.org/filelegacydocs/li.pdf
  -- clarifies what a medium of exchange is/does

José De J. Noguera, "The Appearance of Carriers and the Origins of
Money"
-- about how environments like the NSFNet can foster the selection/
promotion of some simple input as a medium of exchange

Stephen Williamson, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, "Limited
Participation and the Neutrality of Money"
http://www.www.rich.frb.org/publications/economic_research/economic_quarterly/pdfs/spring2005/williamson.pdf
-- about consequences of the asymmetry between delegation
relationships like RIR->LIR and LIR-> end user

Sebastien Lotz and Guillaume Rocheteau, Journal of Money, Credit &
Banking (Vol. 34 No. 3: Aug. 2002), "On the Launching of a New Currency"
http://ideas.repec.org/a/mcb/jmoncb/v34y2002i3p563-88.html
-- Name is self-explanatory, relevant to the current dilemma

Geoffrey Wood, "Governance or regulation? Efficiency, Stability, and
Integrity in the Financial Sector"
http://www.palgrave-journals.com/jbr/journal/v7/n1/abs/2340002a.html
-- Name is self-explanatory

Dozens more, at least, on request.

FYI, before actually working in the Internet sector, one of my PhD
fields was trade and MONETARY policy. While in grad school I worked
for the CFR/Pacific Council on International Policy for four years,
during which I was fortunate enough to to serve as rapporteur for
dozens of member briefings by various senior monetary policy
practitioners -- cabinet-level treasury officials, central bankers,
IMF and IBRD executives, etc.

Granted, that doesn't make me anybody's expert -- much less an arbiter
of the foundations of economic theory.
Lucky for us, we have you to take care of those duties!

We missed you in Los Angeles,

TV