[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal 2008-4 - a consensus opinion?

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Mon Oct 13 17:33:54 EDT 2008

> It may be worth noting that people sometimes require unique
> address space to number relatively private internetworks. I
> believe the concept was accepted by ARIN in policy proposal
> 2004-3 (Global Addresses for Private Network
> Inter-Connectivity). ARIN policy section 4.3.5 now states
> that "When private, non-connected networks require
> interconnectivity and the private IP address numbers are
> ineffective, globally unique addresses may be requested and
> used to provide this interconnectivity."

This is misleading. RFC 2050 has always provided for allocating
IP address blocks for use on private INTERnetworks. Policy 2004-3
refers to private non-connected networks and accepts that even
this kind of network deserves an allocation if they have exhausted
the private network ranges.

--Michael Dillon